Thursday, July 8, 2010

Getting into the Swing of Things

Over the past few days I have developed a routine working in the cafe, going to language school, and volunteering at Project C.O.R.A.S.O.N. Though the days are a bit long from 8:15 to 7:00 with just a 45 minute break, I have thoroughly enjoyed the work. Working in the coffee shop is fun, I enjoy meeting people from across the world and making drinks. Currently I have mastered most of the coffee drinks and can make pseudo lattes, cappuccinos, and mochas using a drip coffee system (which may seem rather ghetto but is really quite mod according to a New York customer yesterday). Language school has been really helpful but also really intense. Basically for two hours I sit in a room with a Spanish teacher and we have a long conversation in Spanish. It has forced me to build my vocabulary and really think about the tenses I use. For the most part I can manage decently but yesterday when the conversation turned to faith and the Bible I felt as though I was in way over my head. My teacher expressed his own doubts about religion and asked me if I had any, in the end I just said a quick prayer, answered as well as I could and hoped that I didn't say anything heretical. After language school, I work in the cafe a bit more then head to Project C.O.R.A.S.O.N. By bus, it is about 35 minutes away. Riding the bus out to the project was quite an experience. A Peruvian bus is not really a bus in American terms, rather it is a large van with poles on the ceiling, stuffed with people standing and sitting haphazardly. A little boy runs by the side of the bus, calling out what stop the bus is approaching and jumps in when he can no longer keep up. It may be a bit of a crazy ride, but for a fare of only 60 sentanos, I am willing to squish against my fellow passengers and duck my head. The project is very well organized, with great facilities and many kids who come regularly. Some highlights of the past few days there were, watching the kids try for two hours to blow up a massive beach ball by passing it around and blowing for about five minutes each, painting the kids faces to look like animals, and playing "Simon dice" with some enthusiastic little girls. Over all I like working there and hope to develop good relationships with the kids.
Well that is basically what I have been up to these past few days, it has been busy but I am enjoying having work to do and look forward to the rest of my time here.

2 comments:

  1. You'll have to make me a pseudo latte or cappuccino sometime!

    What does "Simon dice" entail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be happy too :)

    And imagine a disorganized, crazy, Spanish version of Simon Says with very enthusiastic 4 year olds.

    ReplyDelete